Saturday, September 22

More ruminations on the EU Constitution / Reform Treaty

The BBC has spent quite a long time trying to explain and clarify what the new treaty means. It is a long page. And the sad git that I am, I tried to struggle through the entire document. I think I understood quite a lot of it (but no examinations please!).

My opinion is that at best it is very contentious and at worst, it is looking at serious changes in the power structure between me (a citizen), my state (United Kingdom) and Europe (the supranational organisation).

Calling it pooling of sovereignty is very very smart and cagey. Pooling does not sound that bad, does it? But hold on a second, why am I supposed to have my pool of water mixed with water from other pools?

As a Libertarian, I am fundamentally against the continental European idea of the state being stronger than the individual, hence its Napoleonic legal framework (what is allowed is specified in the law books and everything else is illegal) compared to the British system of everything is allowed other than what is illegal.

So no, not impressed. Prime Minister Gordon Brown, where's my referendum? If the Dutch and Irish can have it, why cant we? If the local English parish councils can have their referendum, why cant I?

No comments: