Some very interesting lessons from Normal Schwarzkopf, the general commanding Desert Storm.
10) “Do what is right, not what you think the high headquarters wants or what you think will make you look good.”
8) “War is a profane thing.”
7) “The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.”
6) “True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job anyhow, that’s what courage is.”
5) “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.”
4) “When placed in command, take charge.”
3) “The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in battle.”
2) “Any soldier worth his salt should be antiwar; and still there are things worth fighting for.”
1) “Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy.”
I like 10, 7, 6, 5, 3 and 1.
I specially like 3. So many times I find myself speaking to people who think it will be all right on the night without preparation, planning and rehearsals. Oh! and think that meetings are a good replacement for achievement. Sweat the small details, sweat the preparations, sweat the planning…