Monday, July 26

Capturing Histories

Sent out this email to the wider Dasgupta clan. Lets see how this experiment works out.

 

I thought of sending this email to all the wider Dasgupta clan because I need help with this. I am going to try to do an experiment while Baba and Ma are here. I am going to give them 2 copies of the same book.


http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/0811843270?tag=betteraddons-20


This is a book which helps in capturing the memories of a grandparent for their grandchild. All our respective parents are now getting quite old and we should try to capture their histories in Bangladesh, Nepal and Jubbly so that we can pass this on to our grandchildren. Once Baba and Ma have filled this out, I will get it scanned and put up on a dedicated website. I already have reserved a domain name,
http://dasguptaonline.com/


But I need help, I am pretty sure that given their failing health, memory and eye sight problems and and and, they will need help to get this going. And that means that somebody has to volunteer to guide them through filling out this book. If we have some volunteers, I am happy to purchase more copies of this book and then send them back with Ma/Baba when they go back in September. Only thing is, I need them to be then scanned and then we will put it up on the website so that all our children can read up on their family histories.


Any volunteers to look at Jethima, Boro Pishi, Pishi, Itu, Choto Kaku and Kaki, and and and?


On a separate note, we have loads of old photographs but they are currently mouldering away in albums in various cupboards. I would like to propose that we try to scan them, send them to me, I will get a dedicated website constructed and pay for it, and then we have it all.


We are all quite busy at the moment with our lives, our careers and are spread out all over the world. What keeps us together is the sense of family and the history together. It would be regretful if we reach our old age and then think, damn, I wish I had captured my parents memories. Its already quite late, we have lost so many and their memories have gone with them.


What do you think of both ideas? Any volunteers for the first and suggestions for the second? If it is a question of cost of scanning, please do not worry, just take the albums to the nearest photographer, ask them for a cost of the scan of all the photographs and I am happy to assist in this. Only proviso, the photographer has to send the photographs to me via the internet or something. And will need people's assistance in identifying the people.

No comments: