Wednesday, April 8

Opening the coffin of King Charles I

Diya

Here's a bit of horrible histories for you. Remember we went to Windsor and saw these vaults? Imagine poking around there eh?

Fascinating.

Reminds me of an old poem which was sung after Charles 1 was beheaded. Or was it when Marie Antoinette was guillotined.

My neck on the guillotine

And the blade comes down

My head goes this side

And my body that side

Which side am I on?


Did I tell you that I saw a beheading in Jeddah when I went to Saudi Arabia? Pretty gruesome I tell you

Love

Baba



Opening the coffin of King Charles I - Untold lives blog
http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/untoldlives/2015/01/opening-the-coffin-of-king-charles-i.html
(via Instapaper)


King Charles I was beheaded on 30 January 1649 outside Banqueting House in Whitehall. His embalmed body was put into a coffin and taken to St James’s. Parliament then gave permission for the King to be buried in the Chapel of St George at Windsor. Mr Herbert who had been a groom of the royal bedchamber was entrusted with overseeing the interment.

Charles I execution

Lord Clarendon later stated that the King’s body could not be found at Windsor some years later. There was a suggestion that King Charles II had re-interred his father at Westminster Abbey.

No comments: