Wednesday, March 9

The Expert's Guide to People Watching

So kids. There are five elements to this link. What you are. What you're trying to portray. What the onlooker is taking in. And what does the onlooker do after taking it in. And finally how and why does it matter to you after the onlooker has decided to do something about it. 
So let's take an example. I'm trying to show that I'm rich although I'm comfortably middle class. So I wear an expensive watch. The onlooker looks at the watch and goes oooooo. And then admires the watch and sucks up to you. And the final element, you feel good because somebody admired you. 
We all do this. To a greater or smaller extend. No harm in that at all. 
But the little that I've learnt, I always think, why does it matter to me what others think? Do I need other people's admiration or feedback to know how good I am? So I just say, sod it. Don't care. What I wear or do is driven more by functional needs.
 I need a suit. Debenhams suits are just fine for me. I don't need a Gucci suit. I keep my hair short. Saves me time that I can spend that time every day on reading or something else. 
When you observe people, note how they invest in brands and external measures of 'image'. Know this then that they are looking for your reaction. Don't play that game. People see through it. That way you can see beyond the layers and armour that people wrap themselves around and show off what they are not rather than what they are. 
Fascinating exercise, people watching. I love doing that through my camera and catching people in their various guises :) 
It's a very stressful time at work with a serious amount of shit happening so it's a nice little dance I see and perform. Will tell you sometime. 
Diya I loved going to your high school and was also remembering when we went to leave Kannu there. He was so cute in his grown up clothes and walking there alone. And soon you'll be following in that route. Best of luck today darling. Have a lovely time. 
Love
Baba




michaeljung/Shutterstock

You’re bored while standing in line or forced to sit in a doctor’s waiting room. What do you do to amuse yourself? Invariably, many of us turn to people watching to pass the time. Without even realizing it, perhaps, we decide whether those sharing our space—even temporarily—are smart or dumb, interesting or dull, and happy or anxious. We might even start to spin theories about them, knowing nothing about them other than their facial expressions, what they’re doing, and the way they walk or sit. Fleshing out our theories is the additional information we get from the clothes they’re wearing, the jewelry they have on, and even the state of their shoes.
As stated by Carnegie Mellon computer scientist David Fouhey and colleagues (2014), “the human body is a powerful and versatile visual communication device” (p. 259). Fouhey and team used information about people's poses to generate computer models of different types of environments, but the powerful communication we deliver through our bodies can be the basis for powerful social judgments.

No comments: