Saturday, May 2

Changing my mind about the death penalty?

I am a firm believer that the death penalty is immoral, incomprehensible and not appropriate for a civilised society. But sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder if my position is wrong. I read this. Now, I ask you, are you really a human being who would rape a TWO YEAR OLD CHILD? This is the man who also killed another child who was 17 months old. Baby P died after suffering more than 50 injuries.

Do you really think this man deserves to live? Sometimes it is very difficult to defend the death penalty. Words fail me. Seriously fail me. If somebody did that to my child, would I be able to stop myself from going all barbaric and medieval on him? Very much doubt it.


Quote of the Day:
If misery loves company, misery has company enough.
--Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

Farhad NIKKHAH (BEng MSc MBA) said...

Hi Bhaskar, I have also been a long term opponent of the death penalty in principle, but sometimes some crimes are so horrific and inhumane that I wish for the culprit to suffer the most horrific, slow and agonising tortorous end to their miserable "life". Case in point is the Austrian "father" (Josef Frietzel) that raped his captive daughter for 24 years. I think it is a waste of the Austrian tax-payers money to keep him locked up and fed.

On the other hand you have people like Delara Darabi, who offended as a 17 year old and she was sadly executed after 6 years in Iran yesterday. She did not deserve such a harsh penalty
http://www.savedelara.com/About_Delara.html