Wednesday, March 21

Why I wont be selling my car

I have a Honda CRV now for well over 11 years now. Don't really use the car that much, its only done 17,400 miles. Main reason to buy the car was to save Kannu from his blushes. He came to me when he was 4 and asked, Baba, are we poor? I asked, why? Well, all my friends have 2 cars, we only have 2 bicycles. So had to go buy a car. Anyway. I now have the car for 11 years and I don't think its going to go off my forecourt any time now. I don't see any reason why i need a new car and this one is doing very well, thank you very much. I was reminded of this when I read this article in NYTimes. Kannu will have the car and we are good to go for couple of decades if not more!

But maybe I will buy a bike one day Smile a proper motor bike, when I grow up

 

HOW far can a modern car really go? Given the increasing age of vehicles on American roads, we may be on the verge of finding out.

As a stubborn recession made drivers wary of new purchases for several years, the average age of vehicles on the road in the United States stretched to a record 11.1 years in 2011, according to the research firm R. L. Polk, which tracks vehicle sales and registrations.

Multiply that number of years by the annual miles driven — the E.P.A. uses 15,000 for the cost calculation on fuel economy labels — and it becomes evident that one pearl of conventional wisdom has become outdated.

In the 1960s and ’70s, when odometers typically registered no more than 99,999 miles before returning to all zeros, the idea of keeping a car for more than 100,000 miles was the automotive equivalent of driving on thin ice. You could try it, but you’d better be prepared to swim.

But today, as more owners drive their vehicles farther, some are learning that the imagined limits of vehicular endurance may not be real limits at all. Several factors have aligned to make pushing a car farther much more realistic.

1 comment:

KV said...

Agree with you BD and probably have same thoughts. My car has done 53K kms in 5 years and still is a charm(knock on wood) - not going to sell it off for another couple of years - and then I might consider 'lateral upgrading'. Here's more on that on this link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/78612-article-beauty-lateral-upgrades-getting-more-car-less.html

Rgds,
KV