Tuesday, July 31

Around the Table

Some rather interesting vignettes on food. 

What I really liked was on the last section. You remember the small things such as where you had a good meal or when you cooked yourself. 

That's why I love cooking. It's a fun thing to do and gives me so many wonderful memories when you two have fun with me in the kitchen. 

Love

Baba

CyipAround the Table [letsgetcritical.org]
http://lareviewofbooks.org/post/12281501080/around-the-table


LOS ANGELES REVIEW OF BOOKS | Around the Table Welcome to the TEMPORARY HOME of the Los Angeles Review of Books JUST $10 FROM EVERY READER KEEPS US GOING--DONATE TODAY!

LOS ANGELES REVIEW OF BOOKS

PART IV: THE JERRY SPRINGER MOMENT:
WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED HERE TODAY?

Years ago, when I was completing a round-the-world voyage on Semester at Sea, one of my shipmates observed that, of the hundreds of pictures I’d taken, the snapshots that would hold the most meaning would be the ones with people in them. The rest were just postcards. So it is with our meals; the ones we remember most fondly aren’t generally the grandest examples of haute cuisine served in exotic locales. They’re the tiny triumphs (and minor disasters) we’ve shared with people whose lives intertwined with ours, if only for an evening; the gracious hosts and hostesses who poured themselves onto the plate and into the glass. Gopnik, Calder, Eisenpress, and Lapine understand this most essential fact of eating, and I’d like to say to them, if they’re listening: You’re welcome at our table any night of the week.
¤

No comments: