Monday, August 27

Beyond Food

Photobucket

I was invited to a dinner at a great restaurant near London Bridge by my alma mater to talk about the economy and stuff with other alumni and associated academic greats. The food was great and I, as usual, poked people after listening to some serious pap about how bankers ruined their lives. HA!, but that’s not what I wanted to talk about. I want to talk about the restaurant itself.

Its hosted by the Beyond Food Foundation. And it is a great and simple idea. I quote

Our mission at the Beyond Food Foundation is to inspire people who are at risk of or have experienced homelessness to gain meaningful employment.

We run two programmes to do this; Freshlife and United Kitchen Apprenticeship. Both of these programmes use food as a catalyst to build relationships, talk openly, and support and challenge individuals through their development. Our holistic approach ensures that we fully support everyone we work with and gives them the best chance at success.

To us, meaningful employment is emotionally, economically and intellectually fulfilling to the individual, as well as beneficial to the society we live in.

Photobucket

Here are some of the alumni

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It really inspired me. What a great idea, eh?

No comments: