Wednesday, May 7

Caring for Your Introvert

I learnt quite a lot from this article. But then extroverts like me don't understand this behaviour. This can cause issues. Curious perspectives son. 

I loved the quote, hell is other people at breakfast. Completely incomprehensible of course. I love mornings. It's bright. Cheerful. New day. New battles to fight. New visions to dream. New loves to be won. New dreams to be dreamt. How can anybody be grumpy in the morning? I feel most energised in the morning. Well also in the afternoon and evening and nights aren't that bad either :) 

So I was thinking about my son. Is he an extrovert or an introvert? It was a difficult one. I'm going to say you are 50 50 son. Perhaps a bit leaning towards introversion. But you are very open and sociable with your friends. Which means you are an extrovert. Do an Myers Briggs test. See what comes up. I'm an entj if that helps. 

But reading the article was funny. While I understood why the author says what he says. But it's bloody weird. 

So don't talk to them. But that doesn't stop you from giving them a great big hug, kiss them soundly and walk off whistling while they sit there in their pool of solitude glowering at your back in irritated exasperated love. 

Because if you don't kiss them, they will be even more grumpy son. Never forget the power of a kiss. :)

Or a hug :)

Preferably both.

Have a wonderful day son. I love you. 

Baba

Caring for Your Introvert
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/2696/


Personal File March 2003

Caring for Your Introvert

The habits and needs of a little-understood group

Jonathan Rauch Mar 1 2003, 12:00 PM ET

Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?

If so, do you tell this person he is “too serious,” or ask if he is okay? Regard him as aloof, arrogant, rude? Redouble your efforts to draw him out?

If you answered yes to these questions, chances are that you have an introvert on your hands—and that you aren’t caring for him properly. Science has learned a good deal in recent years about the habits and requirements of introverts. It has even learned, by means of brain scans, that introverts process information differently from other people (I am not making this up). If you are behind the curve on this important matter, be reassured that you are not alone. Introverts may be common, but they are also among the most misunderstood and aggrieved groups in America, possibly the world.

I know. My name is Jonathan, and I am an introvert.

No comments: