Monday, October 22

A small hidden London Church


I had some time before my meeting and I popped into Cafe Nero to grab a Latte. And then idly looked outside and spotted this statue. I popped out and tried to make sense of an inscription at the bottom of the statue. I am not sure if its clear but it says, Mary of Nazareth, by Sir Charles Wheeler PRA. presented in 1975. Strangely enough, the inscription at the bottom, just shadowed by the table, says, This Garden Opened by Her Majesty the Queen Mary, May 12, 1946. Confusing or what?

Then I noticed this plaque on the wall. The church was built by Sir Christopher Wren and consecrated on July 13th, 1684.

Walking a bit more, and on the left was this little fountain, and the wall behind it says, Viscount Southwood.

Some shots of the church, pretty old, mouldy walls.

But this is what was interesting; I noticed the tree, it is a bit strange when all the rest of the trees are going all red and golden, this tree was still green.

and then noticed this plaque hanging on the wall. It says, This is the St. James's Church Indian Bean Tree and one of the Great Trees of London. Catalpa Bignonioides. Its not that Indian, its the Red Indian bit.

I like this tree, it looks like a tree, it has that gnarled look about it, a feeling of antiquity, it has stood here for decades and has sunk roots deep into the soil, despite it being an import (something like me) and now it is part of the landscape. I felt like touching it and whispering a prayer to the tree god. So I did! :)

Then moved out and this is what I found poignant. They looked like normal pavement stones, but on closer observation, they were actually memorial stones. Some were mounted on the wall, and you couldn't read anything, the inscriptions were all worn away.

There were only 2 gravestones which one could make out.

One was simply JH 1812. The one on the left says, Sacred to the Memory of Mary Ann Noel, who departed this life October 23rd, 1831 aged 31 years. Also Meanne Noel, Mother of the Above, who died April 2?, 1843, aged 60 years. So a mother and daughter lie together (I hope). The mother obviously died later than her daughter, but that is the saddest thing, to have your child die before you. And because they were put on the ground, these (sandstone??) paving stones are getting worn away. In due time, these inscriptions will be worn away as well and then who will remember her? They are not on Google either. And I appeared at her grave exactly 176 years but 1 day later. Now is that amazing or is that?

and walking back outside, here was the official board of the church.

Made me a bit pensive, this city is amazing, just needs an eye open and camera at the ready!

No comments: