Tuesday, September 29

How to fight the heat wave, the Odisha way

Kannu. 

I'm was reading about how the London government identified the source of cholera via the mapping of deaths. I think I've mentioned that map to you before. Fascinating son. It's amazing how data visualisation helps in public health and Decision making. I'm embarking on a process to create graphs and reports for the next 4 years. It's bloody exciting. To design something that thousands of people in the bank will use to drive their actions and then millions of customers will be impacted by those decisions. 

But this story was even better. How people work to improve public health. And it doesn't take much closer money son. Just needs people to be smart and change way of working. While I was in the gulf, I was surprised that people kept working even though it was horribly hot. According to the ILO, you cannot work when the temperature is more than 50 degrees  c. So guess what? The temperature never rose beyond 50 degrees.  Same in India. That's why so many people die of heat stroke. I'll take you to a desert one day son. It's a spectacular experience son. Makes you mystical but you've got to respect it. 

Anyway. Have a lovely day and if you can shift the suitcases from the hallway to up to your room that would be good. I fell over the bloody things three times today! 

Love

Baba


Business Standard-How to fight the heat wave, the Odisha way
http://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/how-to-fight-the-heat-wave-the-odisha-way-115052900943_1.html
(via Instapaper)


My Page

Heat wave

In May, 1998 when I was travelling in Odisha, hospitals reported 2,042 deaths due to heat stroke across the state, right from the coastal cities to western regions.

A doctor posted at a government hospital in the coastal town of Kendrapara said, “I have counted more deaths than births in a week. Heat wave has killed more people than an epidemic.”

No comments: