Thursday, August 9

The Impoverished Social Scientist's Guide to Free Statistical / Mathematical and Financial Software and Resources

While I am not impoverished monetarily, I am impoverished time wise. So the last thing I need is to muck around with statistical software. Now I have MINITAB for basic stats, EXCEL for generalised xls type of work (mainly financial modelling and for industry/firm modelling where data changes regularly, also use it for my investment analysis), SPSS for the heavy duty statistical crunching and basic time series analysis. I also prefer to use C++ for the times that I need to run simpler statistical but heavy computational routines. But all this is expensive and pretty time consuming. I used to use LISP, FORTRAN, APL but then wont say when as that would be showing that I belong to the cretaceous era (at least in technology era's!, I have worked on punched cards at a textile mill once!, lol).

But this page is brilliant, should be bookmarked and/or tattooed on your noticeboard or at least handed out to every undergraduate student! :) Happy experimenting but for god's sake, keep away from bloody Microsoft Vista, its the spawn of the devil, it will make your hair fall out and your knees hurt (from the frequent falling to the knees to pray in front of the computer god!)

All this to be taken with a grain of piquant salt!!!

No comments: