Thursday, September 6

The joys of BBQ's, London, South Africa and Oz

I love my BBQ, I love barbequeing and there is nothing better I like than to cook for friends and family, sitting outside in the garden, large hunks of meat and off we go! Too bad I am in England where the wet and miserable weather means that BBQ's are more hits and misses than reality. My daughter calls a BBQ as a Babaque, since Baba cooks!, lol. So if you are ever in town and are free and the weather is fine (big ? there!), here's an open invite! :)

But here comes two reports about BBQ's. The first from the Nobel Prize winner, Archbishop Desmond Tutu who talks about a BBQ as one of the national ethos items, a cause for unity and something that draws the country together. I quote,

"Archbishop Desmond Tutu has become patron of South Africa's national barbecue day, declaring that the shared love of sizzling sausages over an open flame was a strong unifying force between blacks and whites in a still divided country.

The title "Patron of National Braai Day" – using the Afrikaans word for barbecue by which all South Africans refer to barbecues – added to the numerous honours bestowed upon the man regarded as South Africa's moral conscience."


Sounds lovely, what a great country, to have a national BBQ day!, I love the food in South Africa, the kind of meat they make is absolutely brilliant. Many a pleasant hour I have spent in the environs of Santown in Jo'Burg chomping my way through great hunks of meat! :)

but move over to the other side of the world to Australia where the great backyard is disappearing due to the pressures of population in the country and it took a Pom to point this out. This means that the great tradition of BBQ'ing is slowly disappearing which is a bit of a shame!

All this to be taken with a grain of piquant salt!!!

No comments: