Sunday, September 2

The place of women in a mosque should follow the example of the Prophet's Mosque

I saw this note by somebody in the MPAUCK which is one of the Muslim bodies in the UK. Some of the points raised were rather distressing such as

A week before, I had given a Khutba in another, brand-new mosque in the heart of Chicago. After the prayer, while in the elevator, I overheard four Muslim sisters speaking angrily about their experience in the Masjid. "If I wanted to watch TV, I'd stay home," said one of the women, disgusted. I asked them what was wrong, and they told me how they could only see the Imam through a TV system set up in the women's section. Moreover, the space was inconvenient, uncomfortable and was changed twice that day.

And there are more along the same lines. I once wrote a review of another Muslim lady's fight for getting good prayer space and representation in a mosque. But this writer at MPAUCK also speaks that the model of praying in a mosque should be like the Prophet's Mosque in Saudi Arabia.

Which leads me to the second point. This is a picture of the Prophet's Mosque in Mecca.


See the towering buildings behind the Ka'aba? Those are huge tall hotels, mostly american owned. I had the feeling that what I was looking at was a Las Vegas or a Macau Scene.

So I am not really very sure if the model is right. If the choice is between being crammed into a tiny room or worshipping in a place which looks like Las Vegas, not sure if the choice is right!


All this to be taken with a grain of piquant salt!!!

No comments: