Friday, September 28

People who want a permanent security council seat are out of their tiny minds

So tell me something truthfully. Just what benefit does permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council bring to you and me? Or to your country? The way I see it, it has something to do with prestige. But you can take that prestige, add £2.30 to it and buy a cup of coffee. That's about it.

If you are a permanent member, you have to worry about external pressure. You step into diplomatic messes like the UK Foreign Secretary David Miliband did when he supported South Africa. You are expected to be the policeman of the world. You spend more money on strange things. Your government gets distracted with silly things around the world. You dont get to concentrate on your own work, citizens and life. So what's the big deal? Why? There doesnt seem to be any benefits and you end up with only costs. Sod it, if Germany wants to become a permanent member of the UNSC, they can have the British Seat.

I am sure I am going to hear howls of protest, but until and unless I get a very clear, precise and detailed definition of how the UK is benefiting from a UNSC Permanent Seat, my opinion that the permanent seat is only for some foreign office mandarins stands. It is of absolutely no benefit to the country at all!.

All this to be taken with a grain of piquant salt!!!

No comments: