Tuesday, September 25

Your guest is your god - the Columbia treatment to President Ahmadnijad left a bad taste in my mouth

An old Hindu tradition relates your guest to be treated as the personification of God. You might go hungry but your guest should not. I remember my mother telling me a story about how she went to a tiny village to make a movie. She went into a tiny poor hut and she was supposed to act out the part of the poor farmer's wife. So she asked the actual farmer's wife for some roti's (Indian flat bread). She was handed one roti. So Ma took some movie shots with the roti, breaking it apart and sharing, and the director asked for some more shots. So Ma asked the lady for some more roti's. The answer came back, that was our only roti. Now that's hospitality. (Needless to say, Ma got very upset and got some more food for the family!).

Also faintly remember a mythical story, I think it was to do with Vishnu coming disguised down to earth as a poor brahmin. Anybody remember that story? My grandma told me but i have totally forgotten about it.

I do not like President Ahmadinejad. I do not like his policies and I certainly dont like his economics.

But when i read about how he was treated, it didnt leave a good taste in my mouth. Howsoever bad he is, there is no reason to be impolite and rude to your own guest. Specially Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University’s president. Freedom of Speech can very well be exercised with politeness.

But then, I suppose it is all due to upbringing, some are brought up as gentlemen, civilised and polite human beings and well, some are brought up as Lee Bollinger. See here as well.


All this to be taken with a grain of piquant salt!!!

No comments: