Saturday, October 20

Who killed off the BBC?

From children’s programmes to sports broadcasts, the BBC swung an axe on at least 10 per cent of its workforce on Thursday in an effort to push through £1.7bn in savings over the next six years.

Announcing his controversial “reprioritisation” plan, director-general Mark Thompson told staff that those who survived would be working for a smaller but fitter and more flexible BBC.

I am following this story over the past few days and I have to admit that I am gobsmacked. I am proud of the BBC but not at any cost. And I have to point fingers at the BBC management as well as the politicians for mismanaging this British Jewel so horribly.

I am reminded of the old Jeremy Clarkson TV show where he tries to find out who or what killed the British Motor Industry. What do you think are the chances of another TV show being made in 10 years time? Entitled, "who killed the British Broadcasting Corporation"? I know who will be blamed!

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: